Gifts That Make An Impact Now
You can support Road Scholar’s mission of inspiring adults to learn, discover and travel. Here are some ways that you can make a real difference right now.
Recommend a grant now from your Donor-Advised Fund
You can now initiate a grant recommendation from your Donor-Advised Fund, or DAF, using the link below. Simply start typing in your fund provider name, and the system will prompt you through the process.
Charitable Gifts from Your IRA
You can transfer funds from your IRA directly to Road Scholar through a Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD). This is an effective way to have an immediate impact and ensure our work of helping older adults seek deeper meaning and understanding of the world around them.
Here’s how it works:
- You must be 70 ½ or older.
- An individual may transfer up to a total of $100,000 per year, and a married couple may give up to $200,000.
- An individual may take a one-time QCD up to $50,000 to fund a charitable gift annuity (CGA) or charitable remainder trust (CRT).
- Your gift must be transferred directly from the IRA account to Road Scholar.
- Your gift is a transfer of funds from your IRA to Road Scholar, so it does not create taxable income for you and is not considered a charitable tax deduction.
- If you are 73 and older, the transfer of funds counts toward your annual Required Minimum Distribution* from your IRA.
If you’re interested in this popular way to support Road Scholar, download a sample letter for your IRA administrator here.
* Please consider seeking advice from your financial advisor or tax professional to understand how recent changes to laws governing retirement plans may impact you and your charitable gift.
Named Endowment Funds
Many donors elect to fund an endowed gift to honor a family member and/or create a personal legacy. An endowed gift is invested directly; the principal gift is never touched but continues to generate income in perpetuity.
An endowed fund can be established with outright gifts of $10,000 or more, through life-income gifts or by bequest. By endowing your gift, you can make an investment that lasts forever in support of Road Scholar’s educational mission.
Gifts of Securities
You can use stocks, bonds and mutual funds that have appreciated in value to support our shared vision. You may receive a charitable income tax deduction for the full market value of the stock (up to a maximum of 30% of your adjusted gross income) and avoid paying the capital gains tax on any increase in the value of the stock.
A donation of cash is the most direct way to support Road Scholar. You benefit from a charitable tax credit while taking positive action to inspire adults to learn, discover and travel. You can make your gift online with our Donate Now form or by sending a check or money order by mail to:
PO Box 56033
Boston, MA 02205-6033
If you’re sending a check or money order, please let us know if you would like your gift to be used for a specific purpose.